Thursday, May 7, 2009

Everyone needs grammar lessons.

I think that everyone should be required to consistently pass grammar and composition "tests" in order to continue functioning in society. I have noticed that as social media and email correspondence is increasing in social and professional settings, our attention to how we talk has gone completely down the drain. Right now, as I am checking Facebook updates, I am appalled at what people choose to share with the world. For the most part these are people who went to a college prep high school with me and moved on to Ivy League schools and other top notch colleges around the US. One girl read a book in which a few parts "in lightend" her. Now I could go on and on with things that annoy me that I see posted on Facebook and other social networking sites, but eventually someone is going to recognize something they said and that might end badly but what I really want to say is that we need to realize that it is important how you present yourself whether it's talking to you boss, your neighbor, or in 140 characters or less on Twitter. People are looking to find business relationships in ways that previous generations never would have imagined and if we are to have a fighting chance of avoiding Idiocracy. I can tell you that if I am ever in a managerial position where I am looking for new employees I will not be hiring the girl (or boy) who can't spell, can't write, and decides to post it all over the world.

I am not going to suggest putting a spell checker on every Facebook, Myspace or Twitter update, just think before you write.